Owning a home is a big step up in life. It provides a sense of safety, security, independence and accomplishment. We are happy to help our community members achieve that goal through our Pathways Home, a Native Homeownership Course. This course was co-developed by the National American Indian Housing Council, NeighborWorks America, and First Nations Oweesta Corporation. WSCAT provides this course in partnership with Warm Springs Tribal Credit Enterprise and the Warm Springs Housing Authority. The course is required for everyone in WSCAT’s IDA program for home ownership. Between 2013 and the October 2019, 256 community members have taken this 7-session course, with 159 graduating.
Offered twice per year, Pathways Home provides participants with the skills needed to find, finance, purchase, and maintain a home. You’ll also gain a greater understanding of the mortgage loan process, and learn how to prepare a family budget, improve your credit profile, avoid the pitfalls of predatory lending, and manage finances after purchase. Course Modules include:
- Module #1 – Exploring Homeownership
- Module #2 – Considering Mortgage-Based Homeownership
- Module #3 – Budgeting for Homeownership and Calculating Affordability
- Module #4 – Evaluating Credit for Homeownership
- Module #5 – Finding a Home
- Module #6 – Applying for a Home Loan
- Module #7 – Meeting Your Financial Obligations
- Module #8 – Protecting Your Investment
The Pathways Home course book, a $75 value, is provided for free to each course participant. Free meals are provided at each session, and all instruction is also provided at no cost to participants. To enroll in the next Pathways Home course, or to learn more, please contact the WSCAT office at 541-553-3148.